Modelling and Simulations
CMR and Prototech combines a broad modelling and simulation expertise with in-depth application knowledge to effectively describe and understand different systems and processes.
Based on a problem assessment, our researchers use a combination of state-of-the art commercial simulation programs and highly efficient simplified models to solve the challenges at hand. Whenever possible, simulations are combined with measurements and experiments in order to ensure the accuracy of the models.
Our knowledge, skills and experience in modelling and simulation have been successfully applied across a diverse range of application areas, ranging from applications within the oil- and gas industry to marine and renewable applications. Some selected project examples:
- Simulations of metering systems. CMR has in the last 2-3 decades carried out CFD simulations of metering systems. Focus has been on flow profiles at the installation position of ultrasonic flow meters (USM). Several studies have been carried out ranging from flare gas meters to complex export gas metering stations. Both commercial Star CCM+, OpenFOAM and inhouse CFD programs are applied.
- Modeling of electromagnetic sensors and piezoelectric transducers for flow measurements. Accurate modeling in FEMP or COMSOL Multiphysics has been used in parallel with measurement in order to reduce the risk and the number of prototype cycles in the development process for a number of different customers. An important aspect has been establishing accurate material properties.
- Chemical processes in fuel cells. CFD simulations using Star CCM+ have been used extensively to model complex electrochemically driven processes in fuel cells.
- Acoustic leak detection. CMR is an expert user of COMSOL Multiphysics within acoustics applications. One application example is the analysis of a sensor solution based on active acoustic technology for monitoring oil and gas leaks from sub-sea installations.
- Mechanical and Thermal FEM Analyses. CMR Prototech performs FEM analyses for a large range of different application areas. This includes for example impact load analyses, strength calculations for drilling equipment and offshore steel structures, mechanical and thermal analysis of mechanical housings.
- Reduced order modeling of offshore wind farms. CMR has developed a prototype software has been developed that permits fast calculations of wind farm flow and power production. The main feature of this software is that the estimates are obtained within seconds compared to hours/days with CFD simulations. The model reduction technique is a valuable tool that can be applied to a variety of different application areas.
- 3rd party and 2nd party verification. CMR Prototech performs 3rd party and 2nd party verification services related to FEM analysis.
- Numerical optimisation. To find the best solutions to complex problems CMR Prototech applies numerical optimisation algorithms in combination with simulation and modelling. More information about numerical optimisation, click here.
Examples of state-of-the-art commercial simulation programs used extensively at CMR and Prototech are Star CCM+ and OpenFOAM for CFD analysis, COMSOL Multiphysics for Acoustic, Electromagnetic or Multiphysics analysis and NASTRAN for structural analysis. CMR has also developed a wide range of models and simulation tools in-house, including the initial version of the CMR Gexcon’s CFD code for explosion modeling and the piezoelectric transducer modeling code FEMP in cooperation with the University of Bergen. Modeling and simulations are used both in research projects and in industrial projects.